Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Facebook Experiment

Does no facebook = productivity? For me, the answer is possibly yes. (I'm blogging right now, after all.)

For the past 2 weeks I have been off facebook! If I had any self control when it comes to facebook, maybe it wouldn't have to come to this. I really enjoy knowing what other people are up to. But at the moment, life is a little hectic so I thought I should try to slow down and really focus. I want to focus on my family, on figuring out our stressful situation, and on building better relationships w/ my friends. (I have been talking on the phone a bit more... imagine that! A REAL conversation with a REAL person!)

I've been pretty stressed about finances the past 7 months. After working our way through the Making Home Affordable program application process and realizing it's going to take quite some time to be completed (if it is ever), we have decided to try to sell our house. We realize it's a buyer's market right now and that could mean we won't get what we want for it. We're not really in a place where losing money is an option, so I am just praying the house will either sell for what we want it to, or a miracle will happen and we can stay here. But money isn't the only thing driving us to want to sell. As much as I'd like to stay here b/c I love this house we've made our home, we are also far from Gabe's work and all of our family and friends. It seems like everyone lives in Nashville or Franklin, and some people think the drive to Fairview is too much. It's only 30 to 45 minutes people! But with gas prices being high I completely understand wanting to stay local as much as possible. For me, staying local means I never see anyone, and half the time the kids and I are stranded here w/o a car b/c Gabe uses it to get to work. So you can imagine why I would love to be closer to my friends and family!

Right now I have been working out plans w/ a construction company to get Isaiah's wall fixed- FINALLY- as well as now trying to get our house market-ready and work out all the details w/ a realtor, sending in updated Making Home Affordable paperwork whenever they need it, and trying to get a game plan together for me working more often. Currently I work Saturdays at Sonic b/c that is the only time I'm available between the kids, one car, and Gabe's travel. I have been talking to a friend who has her own cleaning business, and she is going to train me on how to have my own business while I help her out when she needs it. That is really exciting to me b/c my friend makes great money doing this. Right now we lack just over $1000 each month, so I need to make at least that much. Sonic isn't working out b/c now they want me to invest $100+ into roller skates and a new uniform. Everyone has to skate as of March 1st, and I don't feel like working only 1 day a week will enable me to get as good as I need to at it and make the most money. There is a reason I never skated in the 7 years I worked for Sonic... trust me. I tried it the past 2 weeks and it doesn't seem to be my thing. Moving on to another job will be good for me anyway; especially if it allows me to be home on the weekends w/ my family. Family time is scarce these days! Step one is getting another car, step two is figuring out what to do w/ the kids while I work. But I think it's doable.

In March Gabe and I will start crisis financial counseling at Dave Ramsey's office and I'm excited about that. Slowly but surely things seem to be looking up!

I think cutting out all the extra noise from facebook has been great for me overall. I want to use the "me" time that I have for more creative endeavors. Plus it feels good to have a game plan for moving forward instead of feeling so stuck all the time. I am feeling my hope being restored for us this year!

I'll be back on facebook. But hopefully a much happier and less stressed me will be there. :-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Girl! I'm off fb too as of a couple days ago. I was addicted to I'm not sure what... Maybe the very sad existence of knowing what was going on with people without EVER having to talk to them. Right. So lame. And it's a super big time waster. Now I need to figure out what I'm going to do with the extra two years I've added on to my life! ;)

Ambra said...

Hey! I had to re-read this b/c I couldn't remember what all I wrote... good grief, I sound like a maniac! I think I'm a little more calm now. :-) I'm so happy you're off facebook too! Next step, let's hang out! Or we should plan a double date!